Monday, May 18, 2009

Feeling Nostalgic

I'm finding myself feeling quite nostalgic this week. I'm excited to head home on Wednesday, since the last time I was there and saw my family was early February- far too long, especially since we only live 2 hours apart. Regardless, it will be nice to get back home and breathe the mountain air. There's nothing like getting off the interstate and rolling down the windows and taking a deep breath. This trip will be an interesting one. I'm curious to see what I uncover as I go through all of my stuff- especially the boxes under my bed in which I kept "important memories" all throughout high school. I'm sure there will be some good laughs.

I'm also really looking forward to seeing my grandparents, two of the most amazing people. They're so wonderful and unbelievably hilarious (without intending to be). Earlier this semester in my textiles class, I was given the assignment of Macro/Micro. It was really difficult for me to come up with something, but I kept coming back to my grandparents. After much brainstorming, my piece came to be about how something or someone (in this case, my grandparents) is just another being in the world, but to an individual, that something or someone is so much more- they are everything. Before my grandparents moved to Kentucky, they lived in Clifton Forge, VA, a tiny town about 30 minutes away from Lexington. Every Tuesday and Thursday they would pick me up to spend the night with them. I always looked forward to visits with them. Before I could even talk, I knew the interstate exit, exit 35. As my Grandpa has told me hundreds of times, "I would get off the exit and you would start clapping your hands and kicking your feet". I still get just as excited about seeing them.

For this piece, I embroidered a portion of their house, The Lucy Celina, now known as The Firmstone Manor a bed and breakfast that they have since sold (and it has changed drastically) with the exit sign in front of the house. I realize that this piece probably won't hold much meaning for others, but it is very special to me.




No comments:

Post a Comment