Wednesday, September 16, 2009

This Semester's Work

For the past week, I have been working on a proposal for my senior critique class. The proposal was due today and was meant to be what we wanted to spend the rest of the semester working on. Each proposal was to consist of drawings, sample, inspiration, a list of adjectives that describe our work, and obviously, a written proposal of what we want to do this semester. I have been brainstorming like crazy! I have decided to take old furniture (which I love and appreciate) and rework it- repair it, refinish it, add and subtract certain areas, reupholster, etc., etc. But- I hope to do a lot of this using non-conventional materials, giving the furniture a sense of newness. My professor approved my proposal and is excited to see what I come up with. So now, I will work work work work! I'm excited to finally be able to do what I want to, and my work not be dictated by assignments.

Ironically, Modish blogged about Spruce today, based in Austin, two people refinish and repair old furniture and give it a more modern look while still maintaining the vintage feel. Spruce also designs one of a kind pieces. I'll definitely be looking to them as a reference, but hope to push my pieces a little further.



No comments:

Post a Comment