Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Art History


As most know, art history class can be rather dull. On Monday and Wednesday mornings, I am in an art history class with my roommate, Emily, and as expected, Monday mornings tend to be the most painful. While I do listen and take notes, my notes are interspersed with doodles and silly notes between Emily and I. Yesterday, we were listening to a lecture on Art in Columbia. The Monday morning lecture went on as usual until we got to Fernando Botero. I have seen Botero's work before and haven't had much of an opinion other than it is a bit on the strange side, but- I had never seen his depiction of the Mona Lisa. As my professor flipped to the slide of the Mona Lisa I couldn't help but giggle to myself and nudge Emily who was in la-la land, doodling all over her paper. Once she saw it, she immediately started laughing and it was hopeless for the two of us. We were stuck in that horrible situation where you know you can't laugh, but that makes the situation that much more funny. My whole body was shaking with laughter and tears were streaming down my face. I had to excuse myself from class to collect myself in the bathroom- upon my returning to class Emily had to do the same.

Then, yesterday evening, looking for an excuse to do anything but embroider, I found several of Botero's most humorous works and hid them all throughout our apartment while Emily was at work. Then, last night when I returned home, I found them in many more discreet places, such as under my pillow.

No one else that we have showed these pictures to think they're nearly as funny as we do- I guess it was just a case of the Mondays. (We are most definitely not making fun on the art, we are just having fun with it!)

No comments:

Post a Comment